Login
Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » General » Requesting Mapmaking Help
Requesting Mapmaking Help
darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 4:56:30 PM | Message # 1
Mapmaker
Group: Lead Designer
So, I have reviewed my situation. I think many of you have seen that the map currently doesn't really get updated a lot. The last time I updated it was during spring break, when I had time. But, I don't really have any right now, and the few moments that I do, I wanna relax, playing wc3,sc2, or doing whatever before hitting my studies full on again.

I kinda see that this also lowers the map's popularity, but I dont really care about it. I just want to make it fun for you guys, because you always like updates. Eh, I love palying the updates I make myself anyway. Eh its fun seeing my map evolving. Anyway...

The map isnt really progressing because I'm busy at the moment. Full-blown updates probably wont happen for another 2 months, that is, when summer break starts. Woo! Horray for 3 updates/week. /win

But the map is kinda sagging now, so Im just going to get ask for help right now. You can request to help with the map below. You have sufficient knowledge and be actually a map maker. Knowing to code GUI and remove leaks fills requirements. Total Newbs can go away. I dont need your code. Coding in GUI is fine, as like 80% of my map is GUI anyway.
Please at least know how to remove leaks. I hate it when people code stuff with leaks, and its annoying to fix.

This thread is also is a full discussion, like if you want people to add something.
This thread probably sucks as well, I thoguht about making it full blown epic detail, but then was like "fffuuu" so whatever. Was too lazy to make it super detailed.

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 4:56:46 PM | Message # 2
Mapmaker
Requirements to help with map:
1. Most important: NEVER ADD YOUR OWN IDEAS TO THE MAP! This one will really piss me off. Eg. "I wanna make pheonix ranger summon a pikachu with 666x stats!" Ima place him in!
2. Every idea that you want to add post below. Each one. Eg. I want to add different kinds of weather. I plan on adding mystic weather, which creates an effect similiar to divine weather and gives 600% attack.
3. Dont post I wanna add this and other stuff. Please Post all of your ideas.
4. You have to get me to apply your post, and give you the map.
5. Possibly give works that you edited, created or made. "Eg, made zombie panic. Link: blabla. About me killing zombies." Just interesting to know, your fine without it.
REQUEST: I need some jass programmer to optimzie my code in jass or vjass. There are also a lot of unneeded variables, and it would help if you deleted those.
6. Keep a log of all the chanegs that you make. "Eg, nerfed lightning ball for elementalist to 5x int for levels 1,2,3.
I have no idea how to merge maps together if 2 or more people work on it. Suggestions for someone to merge them together?
REQUEST: The map atm has a game not found error. You can probably fixing by optimizing Colosseum in jass. I was too lazy to do it.
REQUEST: I need someone to update old heroes.
7. You have to prove that I can trust you wtih the map. I can trust you with the map, and you will not give it away or anything.
8. You cant just plainly run the map to test it, unprotected. You will have a hour long long time, and the game will be extremely choppy. I will post a how to protect+optimize the map for testing later.
9. You should have some people backing you up as a trustworthy source.

I am probably still missing a bunch of other stuff that I forgot to say. Ill porbably add on to it later on.
This thread also sucks in detail atm. If people are confused or whatever, Ill make a full-blown out thread in massive detail that will take me around a week to make.
We can talk about these decisions, the map and whatnot. This is a forum. I know multiple people have asked me wih helping before.
I got to the idea to make this thanks to Cryozone, at the clan cm forums. YOU WILL HAVE TO POST CRYOZONE HERE TO VALIDATE YOUR REQUEST.
Transferring it over to here...
Cryozone's post #1:

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 4:57:04 PM | Message # 3
Mapmaker
Cryzones post #2:

His PM#1:

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 4:57:07 PM | Message # 4
Mapmaker
His PM#2:

In the next post, I will reply to his request.

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:10:18 PM | Message # 5
Mapmaker
Oh god so much work. Anyway,

As I said, I want desperately to work on the map and help out and make a difference. I've got ideas for new characters that I rly wanna make.

Please dont make new characters without askign me first. Your basically adding your own ideas. This is what this forum is for. To dscuss ideas.
Superdth was banned for having 99999 of all stats and stuff a while back, but he has changed, plays legit, and is a close friend of mine, and to this regard, I'm going to request a ban appeal for him.

Well, can anyone else confirm this?
Now as for the Bard, I constantly play FF when I'm not on WC3, and I know that the Bard is a group buffer who uses his songs to empower allies around him, and to this I know that I could put a chain healing spell, some auras, and some AOE damage spells.
Again, pelase specfically specify the ideas... you dont want me to not like the dieas that you implemnted, causing you to erase like 2 weeks of hard work for nothing.
In addition to this, I've also got the idea of making innate spells for heroes such as the Dark Summoner being able to revive himself by putting Pure Death on CD, Savior being able to revive some units nearby, Royal Guard able to use Big Bad Voodo, and etc. Phoenix Ranger could summon a phoenix, could make their choice of an elemental (they all share CD) that gains in power according to their intellect like dark summoner's stuff, and master rogue would get a stealth able to be used whenever (How does a rogue not have stealth in the first place?)
Oh god no. Peonix ranger isa pure dd, not dd summoner. MAster rogue... has full abilities atm, so I dont really think its neeed. Up to the forum.

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:10:31 PM | Message # 6
Mapmaker
Also, classes could get more proficiencies like the rogue able to use throwing weapons that could be made (like on WoW).
I think its unneccasry, and a lot of work. Specify your ideas, and prove to me that its a good idea to add in.
Also, question, do you guys support me in this request?
I dont care if they do. They can go dieing in a fire crying yes for all I care, but Ill still say no.
The main thing I want to do is change spells to do damages like 3xstr and such, and that's way too many spells on the many different characters to mention, however I will keep a record of the ones I do as I do them to send to you later.
So you want to update old heroes skills. Sounds reasonable. But what will you do for balancing? You ahve to update the description too.
I know there's a lot of typos within quests and items, so I can fix those while I'm at it.
Perfect.

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:10:34 PM | Message # 7
Mapmaker
I could do the bard if you don't want to, and give it the spells, Healing Wave, Endurance Aura, Unholy Aura, and Death & Decay
Sounds like a boring bard. I had different ideas for him.
Again, I do want to add more innate spells
Like what? There is not enough clarity in the description. WHat the hell do you even mean about innate?
maybe double proficiencies for certain units
What? The... Hell? Explain.
so I'll keep those in the log as I go.
Good.
also want to see if there's anything I can do to the triggers to prevent desynchs so ppl don't have to restart wc3 after every single cot.
Excellent.
I'll prolly do more when I think of it, and I'll keep those in a log for you.
NO! Explain to me every fricken idea that you have. Your not gbeing given the map for you to edit as you see fit.
Also, could I make a custom personal character pease?
No. Aboslutely no.

Your request has been denied. Please fix it up.
I may be sounding strict, but I dont want you to fuck up my map.

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:13:13 PM | Message # 8
Mapmaker
Also, guys, please tel anyone who might b interested and is a good mapmaker to go on this forum and reply to this post.

GhostWolf223Date: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:24:35 PM | Message # 9
Stage 9
Group: Users
just thought i should clarify something o.o wont matter much but still

Innate abilitys, Abilitys that you dont have to spend a skill point on and start with that ability but it doesn't level up o.o i guess it could lvl up though D:

Rest in Peace...Josey The DoG Wales...
http://www.youtube.com/user/hero12345333
Visit my youtube channel :)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/GhostWolf223

Sandman366Date: Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:30:48 PM | Message # 10
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Bugfinding? I'm not too shabby on that (:P)
Proofreading? Yeah, I can do some of that too.
Mapmaking? *Laughs* I'm more of an ideas guy and I SUCK at using the editor. Unfortunately I also don't think I know anyone that would be good for the position other than you, because you know how you want the map to take shape and know, well, how to use the editor (lol)

Sorry I can't be much help on the development side, and also sorry I don't know anyone who could help. I'd say look around places where there are lots of mapmakers. I've talked with another mapmaker but he's making SC2 stuff now (which is a shame he's abandoning his WC3 map completely, it was good) and I doubt he'd help. I could ask though, but I really doubt he'd help.

Edit: FFS wolf is a ninja apparently....

Quote (GhostWolf223)
Innate abilitys, Abilitys that you dont have to spend a skill point on and start with that ability but it doesn't level up o.o i guess it could lvl up though D:

I think he knows what they are.

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

Message edited by Sandman366 - Friday, 2011-04-15, 5:31:11 PM

CryoZoneDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 8:38:48 PM | Message # 11
Stage 1
What exactly would you like me to clear up then? Innate spells being spells that make sense. A master rogue should have the innate abillity to use stealth, that much I know. The phoenix ranger won't be a summoner then that's fine.

I won't make any new characters, or new weather, or new proficiencies. You can work on bard yourself as well. As for balancing, I used to edit maps on SC and did a lot of balancing there. If the character has a lot of damage skills, they won't do pure epic dmg per skill as to balance that out, although the elementalist is a character that defines pure epic dmg per every skill. Editing descriptions is no problem at all, and is one of the easiest things to probably do next to fixing grammar problems.

As for fucking up your map, there's no way in hell I want to fuck up my favorite game with a bunch of OP and buggy/unbalanced shit. Their definition of innate is exactcly what Ghost said. A spell that would be in the skillbook (where it shows shit like this char takes 200% dmg and etc. ((like it does in dark summoner's spellbook). The skills would not level up ever. They would just be there. Phoenix Ranger could have a long shot or power shot innate that gives it a massive dmg agil stacking arrow kinda like the master rogue's assassinate or whatever it's called. Master rogue would have stealth. Savior could have a ress or healing spell, as the name Savior implies one who saves the masses through great deeds and healing. Elementalist could maybe split himself up into storm earth and fire (like the brewmaster), or into whatever other elements you want it to be, and etc. There's too many chars with too many possible innates to go over with, but as I said, I would keep an extremely detailed log of what I do and send it to you periodicly for you to approve or deny or change.

Edit: There's also 2 bugs that I'm not sure I can fix. #1, the normal item upgrader's upgrades don't work, and #2, the rare item upgrader vendor doesn't have anything to sell >.>

Added (2011-04-15, 8:38:48 PM)
---------------------------------------------
I found an epic way to keep log of what I do to as I go. I found a program to convert speech to text (Pirated ofc :P)

Behold, my friends, destiny, in its most brutal form! All the dreams that might have been. All the happiness, and sorrow, you might have experienced, gone forever! For you there will be no tomorrow!

Message edited by CryoZone - Friday, 2011-04-15, 8:30:09 PM

GhostWolf223Date: Friday, 2011-04-15, 8:56:50 PM | Message # 12
Stage 9
Quote (CryoZone)
Their definition of innate is exactcly what Ghost said

smile

honestly i think you should go with cryozone surprised

looks like he has some pretty good ideas that would be welcomed in the CoT community o.o

and he looks like he knows what hes doing
+1 to vote surprised but then again...im a lowly nub that has no effect on DC's opinion sad

Rest in Peace...Josey The DoG Wales...
http://www.youtube.com/user/hero12345333
Visit my youtube channel :)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/GhostWolf223

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 9:23:24 PM | Message # 13
Mapmaker
As I said, I want desperately to work on the map and help out and make a difference. I've got ideas for new characters that I rly wanna make.

Please dont make new characters without askign me first. Your basically adding your own ideas. This is what this forum is for. To dscuss ideas.

FIXED

Superdth was banned for having 99999 of all stats and stuff a while back, but he has changed, plays legit, and is a close friend of mine, and to this regard, I'm going to request a ban appeal for him.
Meh. ill think about this later.

Now as for the Bard, I constantly play FF when I'm not on WC3, and I know that the Bard is a group buffer who uses his songs to empower allies around him, and to this I know that I could put a chain healing spell, some auras, and some AOE damage spells.
Again, pelase specfically specify the ideas... you dont want me to not like the dieas that you implemnted, causing you to erase like 2 weeks of hard work for nothing.
FIXED

In addition to this, I've also got the idea of making innate spells for heroes such as the Dark Summoner being able to revive himself by putting Pure Death on CD, Savior being able to revive some units nearby, Royal Guard able to use Big Bad Voodo, and etc. Phoenix Ranger could summon a phoenix, could make their choice of an elemental (they all share CD) that gains in power according to their intellect like dark summoner's stuff, and master rogue would get a stealth able to be used whenever (How does a rogue not have stealth in the first place?)
Oh god no. Peonix ranger isa pure dd, not dd summoner. MAster rogue... has full abilities atm, so I dont really think its neeed. Up to the forum.
FIXED

Also, classes could get more proficiencies like the rogue able to use throwing weapons that could be made (like on WoW).
I think its unneccasry, and a lot of work. Specify your ideas, and prove to me that its a good idea to add in.
FIXED

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 9:23:38 PM | Message # 14
Mapmaker
The main thing I want to do is change spells to do damages like 3xstr and such, and that's way too many spells on the many different characters to mention, however I will keep a record of the ones I do as I do them to send to you later.
So you want to update old heroes skills. Sounds reasonable. But what will you do for balancing? You ahve to update the description too.
Will be addressed toward end of post

I could do the bard if you don't want to, and give it the spells, Healing Wave, Endurance Aura, Unholy Aura, and Death & Decay
Sounds like a boring bard. I had different ideas for him.
FIXED

Again, I do want to add more innate spells
Like what? There is not enough clarity in the description. WHat the hell do you even mean about innate?
The innate abilities is actually a good idea, just dont make them too op.

maybe double proficiencies for certain units
What? The... Hell? Explain.
FIXED

I'll prolly do more when I think of it, and I'll keep those in a log for you.
NO! Explain to me every fricken idea that you have. Your not gbeing given the map for you to edit as you see fit.
Partly Fixed

darkchaosDate: Friday, 2011-04-15, 9:23:45 PM | Message # 15
Mapmaker
@ #1 and #2 problem - those aren't bugs - they're just not implemented yet. Auctually, you can do thse too, as its mostly x2 or whatever every item level. Ill send you information later, but firstly.

So, you want to

A) Add innate abilities (a pretty good idea)
B ) Update old heroes skills? You should also give them damage taken thing in the spellbook then, and you can adjust their attack spped accordingly.
C) ? Possibly do normal, rare, leg items? That would help a lot... lol... i hate doing items... so boring ?

Your log is top class. Here, please take this overachievement award.

Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » General » Requesting Mapmaking Help
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024