Tuesday, 2024-05-07, 7:04:22 AM

Main
Registration
Login
Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » Feedback and Error Reports » Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn (Goddess of Making You Mad-Weather of Evil-No More Creeps)
Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn
razvan1988Date: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 2:42:17 PM | Message # 31
Stage 1
Group: Users
i totally agree with the point C .... i mean,it's not so hard to see the link of the forum for god damn smile Only if you are a lazy you will not acces this forum...which btw,it's very goof structured and very explicit!

Added (2010-10-23, 2:42:17 PM)
---------------------------------------------
good structured * sorry smile

Sandman366Date: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:00:01 PM | Message # 32
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (valkier)
A. I agree with Razvan, thank you for stating that.

Hard not to agree with it. Most people don't go on the forum though, this is probably a small percentage of the map's players.

Quote (valkier)
B. Technically, I would call myself new. This was my first time playing CoT in about 2 months, which means I missed a lot of the map updates. My hero got wiped so I had to start that over, which meant getting used to it again.

You still have played the map before, and had some idea of what to do. You knew about the stuff. You knew about houses and Good Shoes etc etc. Actual new people? They don't.

Quote (valkier)
C. We were all new once and had to find these things out. It's part of playing a game for the first time. Finding the little ins and outs of it and seeing how it works. Even then no one fully understands it all, not even Dark, hence why I offered him to make this website over a year ago, hence why we have a community of collective minds to help find things and share them with others Hence why the website is on the loading screen, in the opening credits, in the f9 tab, and even named on one of the NPC's in town.

Here's where I hate people. Most people don't use a brain, don't look at quests, don't pay attention to help being given, etc. Most people don't go to forums of games, and many that DO go to forums, don't bother looking around for the same questions they're about to ask that have been asked a dozen times, and half got flamed for asking so many times. And finding out the stuff for a map for the first time can be nice and all, but if there is no warning against some level 300 boss randomly coming up to your face and bashing it in (multiple times), where's your explanation then?

Basically, we need SOMETHING to say hit F9 in game, because most people probably don't pay attention to the loading screen. I remember seeing the FoC sponsor guy in town back in 66b wondering what his point was, and at times, you don't see him for quite some time. He hides well, even in these versions. We just need some nerf on things that aren't fair for people who don't even know which direction out of town for the easy creeps, and something to explain the map for them.
Before you say to just have someone who isn't new to the map each game: you'd require someone who isn't new to every autohosted game by the bots? Good luck even finding every game, let alone making sure there is someone who knows anything about the map in each one.

PS: This is not intended to be a flame in any way, even though it might seem like it. And yeah, it's kinda a flame towards the idiots, but sometimes they deserve an insult.

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

Message edited by Sandman366 - Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:00:28 PM

DraculaDate: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:10:49 PM | Message # 33
Stage 2
Generally speaking, I'd have to disagree with that bit about the forums. Usually, players will only go to a map's official forum for one of four reasons:
A: Forced to, be it by some lame clan obligation or for whatever reason.
B: The map is epically awesome.
C: B, but also needs help with something.
D: The map fails so much that the person in question feels obliged to make his views public.

Take the membership at this forum, for example. We have a fair bit here, but I see far more people in games who I've never seen on this forum (as opposed to those I've seen who have accounts here). While the lack of membership could be explained in the context of this issue by saying that they just come here to read and don't post, that also seems rather fallacious since we have no bonafide "Noob Guide" to help new players out or anything of the sort. Effectively, in the event they actually did come to the forums, they'd just have to wade through the various posts and come up with some sort of semi-effective plan. I suppose writing a Noob Guide is something to look into, but that's still reliant on the people actually coming here to find and read it, which is unlikely if they're already frustrated.

As for the "new players" thing, let me say this again: I'm talking about people without prior experience playing CoT. While Valkier may have been gone for two months, for instance, none of the things used to level in my "Diary of a Pro" (refer to my previous posts's Mediafire link) changed since then. The spellbook was still there, the Velreon Guard was still there, etc, which would have been very quickly remembered and used to level quickly. Granted, it's possible he (and, by extension, other players) might use a different system of leveling than I do, but the concept I'm trying to get across still remains the same. We're basically relying on people to come to the forums and try to skim through these topics as an alternative to in-game direction, which may save some people and bring them on. However, as mentioned above, most people simply won't care enough to bother looking, will label the map as a fail, and will simply discard it. While dark's objective might not necessarily be to expand the community to unseen heights, it seems a bit of a shame that someone who might have otherwise enjoyed the rest of the game will quit because of some confusion/seeming imbalance at the start of the game.

EDIT: Looks like Sandman beat me to it.
I will have my revenge!!!

Yours truly,
Count Vlad Tepes Dracula III
(But you can just call me Drac.)

Message edited by Dracula - Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:12:27 PM

Sandman366Date: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:41:22 PM | Message # 34
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (Dracula)
While dark's objective might not necessarily be to expand the community to unseen heights, it seems a bit of a shame that someone who might have otherwise enjoyed the rest of the game will quit because of some confusion/seeming imbalance at the start of the game.

It'd take me a while to figure out a way to say this better.

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

valkierDate: Sunday, 2010-10-24, 0:13:48 AM | Message # 35
Webmaster
Group: Administrator
Again, you are wrong. Dark's objective isn't to expand the community. Just to make a game that people like. As with all things such, there are many more that don't like it than do. It is MY goal for a community. Hence the site. Hence the organization of a collective mind. Also, you may see over 400 registered users, which FYI, is a LOT compared to most sites for WC3 maps, but what you don't see are IP logs. The hundreds upon hundreds of users that come to this site and don't register, but just browse as guests.
Also, if they are having such a hard time, then how about help them. All the time that your wasting here to complain and complain and complain, you could be browsing for new players in the games and helping them.

One last thing, sorry sandman, but even though you say it isn't meant to be a flame, you also state it's kind of a flame towards idiots, well guess what, your flaming and you admit it. 3-day posting ban.

DraculaDate: Sunday, 2010-10-24, 1:13:56 AM | Message # 36
Stage 2
Quote (valkier)
Again, you are wrong. Dark's objective isn't to expand the community.

....Again, I am wrong?

Quote (Dracula)
While dark's objective might not necessarily be to expand the community to unseen heights

Where do you get an absolute statement out of that? I was just pointing out that such a desire is not necessary to want people not to get frustrated over one's map.

Quote (valkier)
Also, if they are having such a hard time, then how about help them. All the time that your wasting here to complain and complain and complain, you could be browsing for new players in the games and helping them.

Well, as opposed to the community spending hours upon hours doing nothing but joining CoT autohosts and helping out new players, it seems like it'd be far more efficient for the map to be changed, since the changes being mentioned wouldn't really take that long to implement and would be permanent, as opposed to us having to join games and repeat the process of explanation for every new player. Having people help the new players would be far more of a waste of time than the map helping the new players, especially when it can do so in a far more direct and concrete way.

Could the community help? Yes. Could a modification be made to the map that would be permanent and concrete, alleviating a lot of time and effort on our part? Yes. I understand your argument; I just don't see the practicality in it.

It occurs to me that you and I are probably never going to agree on this issue as it seems to be a difference in ideology; I believe that the map should be changed because there are ultimately more people that will affect than just those who visit these forums, and you believe that the community should take on the burden. Given that, there's really only one way to bring closure to this topic -

What's the verdict, dark? You ARE the mapmaker, so it's ultimately going to come down to whether you take this on or not. Feel like giving the noobs a hand, or does the task fall to us? I suppose I could always write a semi-formal guide for new players if it comes to that, since helping some people is better than helping none at all.

Yours truly,
Count Vlad Tepes Dracula III
(But you can just call me Drac.)

GhostWolf223Date: Sunday, 2010-10-24, 11:05:10 AM | Message # 37
Stage 9
isnt all this a bit off topic from the god/weather discussion?

for my statement on topic add more good weathers and lower range of god auras to just the mountain they are on PWEASE!

Rest in Peace...Josey The DoG Wales...
http://www.youtube.com/user/hero12345333
Visit my youtube channel :)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/GhostWolf223

valkierDate: Monday, 2010-10-25, 1:38:06 AM | Message # 38
Webmaster
Group: Administrator
Well, as the topic is officially off topic AND there's a bit of flaming going on, here it goes:

TOPIC CLOSED.

Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » Feedback and Error Reports » Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn (Goddess of Making You Mad-Weather of Evil-No More Creeps)
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024