Tuesday, 2024-05-07, 8:06:32 PM

Main
Registration
Login
Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » Feedback and Error Reports » Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn (Goddess of Making You Mad-Weather of Evil-No More Creeps)
Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn
ArcusDate: Wednesday, 2010-10-20, 8:11:29 PM | Message # 16
Stage 1
Group: Users
I've seen it before, as a FRIGGING LEVEL 12 SAVIOR! Lightning 3 hit my house, because no one bought me a castle.

valkierDate: Thursday, 2010-10-21, 4:49:50 AM | Message # 17
Webmaster
Group: Administrator
Ok, first off, no one HAS to buy you a castle. I hate when people expect things from others. Second, clan cm hosts non chaos CoT games on one of the bots.

Arcus....dont EVER dis the pandaren again *glares*

AlexengDate: Thursday, 2010-10-21, 5:13:03 AM | Message # 18
Stage 4
This is just a suggestion for the weathers. Even if you dont wanna nerf them, atleast create a line they cannot cross. Like chaotic hurricane cannot decrease your AS to less than 2.50 and your MS to less than 200 (almost the MS of a NE tree).

Brony Forever.
Favorite characters: Chrysalis, Twilight, Luna, Discord, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Trixie.
Favorite pairings: TwiLuna, CelestiCord, Twixie, AppleDash, TwiDash, Flutterdash.

Message edited by Alexeng - Thursday, 2010-10-21, 5:13:24 AM

valkierDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 0:08:53 AM | Message # 19
Webmaster
But that's why its one of the hardest to do anything in because its one of the most extreme types of weather. Also, fyi, you can always go colo.

n00bz4rusDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 1:42:33 AM | Message # 20
Stage 2
how can a new character goes to colo?

I'm just your normal weirdo next door.

"There are times when not giving are better than giving"
-???

CutenessDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 3:26:47 AM | Message # 21
Stage 4
anyone can go to colo. whether or not they can beat colo is the question, frankly i've had a hero just colo lvl 1 easy back to back 'cuz they kept diein. still got decent xp though smile . as for buying houses, just get medean if you can't afford gods, same xp rate, not sayin how to get it though ;p

as for weather effects, they're fine as is. Yes, the hurricanes horrible as is the heavy snow, but they're meant to be horrible. when was the last time you went strollin through a hurricane without a care in the world? ;p

I'm not obsessed with Cute things......I just like them better then everything else <3

Sandman366Date: Friday, 2010-10-22, 1:57:07 PM | Message # 22
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
What's the last time you colod as a level 1 in Hurricane? By the time you GOT a house, GOT to colo, and died, you coulda had a level 10 without weather. (Almost!)

And after that, if you do -rv you can still have a ways to walk to get back to colo, spending a good MINUTE to get there. It's far too strong, and Heavy Snow is arguable which is worse.

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

DraculaDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 2:17:13 PM | Message # 23
Stage 2
We're getting off-topic, folks. The point that Sandman is trying to get to (and that I totally agree with) is that the game is extremely harsh on new players. There are many things that the players need to know but cannot without either prior knowledge or digging through the quests tab. This frustration is further amplified by the weather - if you don't know where to find Good Shoes, you're stuck being slow until the rain subsides - even then, attack-slowing effects like Fog, Snow, or Hurricane will completely screw over DPS classes, who won't be able to deal damage during said effects. Then there's the Godesses, making even the lowest-level creeps extremely annoying to deal with for new players, who won't be able to possibly even understand what is causing the absurd speedboost, heal or invulnerability until they finally get to face the Godesses (if they stay that long). And then, finally, as Sandman mentioned, there is the annoying despawn mechanic. While I can see the merits in having such a system, I don't recall (although I apologize if I just missed it) seeing an explanation or notification in quests anywhere at all.

In short, the game is biased against new players. Of course, in a sense, that is perfectly reasonable - it is a save/load RPG, after all! But I don't just mean biased in a power disparity - biased in a knowledge disparity. To effectively learn to play the game if you're just starting out from scratch with no prior experience, you have to take the time to learn about it if you don't want to level at a rate of one level per hour. While this wouldn't be a problem, there is a fair bit to learn compared to your typical WC map, which will set off most players, who are used to easy maps like DotA. Quite a bit of info is provided, but most people are too impatient to read it, and those that do still have to deal with the frustration of skimming through the item shops around town to find the items that are actually useful/cost-efficient (as opposed to the ones that are junk). Once that's finally done, you have to find a safe place to plant your house (which will get razed by the Dark Savior if not placed behind a closed gate, another thing that isn't mentioned).

Now that I've (hopefully) made my point, some things I think might help:

A: First and foremost, redesign the town. Not necessarily anything in the way of terrain changes, but mostly cleaning up the various item shops. Leave in the items that are useful/cost-efficient, and remove or change the ones that have no place (seriously, a three-charge banner that heals 200 HP and 50 mana?).
B: Provide more early options against the weather, since there are far more negative than positive effects.
C: Increase the usefulness of houses/nations for low-leveled players, and, if possible, describe them better in the item shop.
D: Remove (or severely nerf) the Goddesses' abilities that have global range.
E: Remove the Dark Savior if anyone creates a new character, only spawning him once all players are above level X (either 50 or 100). Or, at the very least, give some warning besides a quest that the players may/may not pick up.
F: An early-game quest or two might be useful to give the players some direction.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Will edit/post again later if I remember anything else.

Yours truly,
Count Vlad Tepes Dracula III
(But you can just call me Drac.)

Sandman366Date: Friday, 2010-10-22, 9:28:11 PM | Message # 24
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (Dracula)
In short, the game is biased against new players.

*nudge nudge* HE knows what I'm talking about!

Many things in Normal World need a nerf, and after you're level 600 on a PR, it needs to be rigged. It's sad, that it has to be so opposite. Plus, he's right, there is next to nothing in Quests that's very uesful. Most of it is cut off, is version change info, doesn't give anything useful, or is "Quest not found". The thing about how to save/load is known by just about anyone, and credits to who's save system you're using? That's probably back from PoM! It needs a serious overhaul, and yeah, the town needs a redo as well. I mean, "Armor of Woa", 30 armor and "slight" hp/mana boosts? First, this is useless because it's overpriced, and Dragoon Armor is better. Second, it doesn't even say how much Hp/mana boost it is, and I have no idea, but I know that there is far better. Also, there are several things at the Armor Shop with the same bonuses, different costs, and no level requirement. On top of this, most of the shops have useless items (give a reason to use a Staff of Preservation, and I'll laugh in your face until I pass out from laughing so much. Or the dumb healing potions, NOBODY uses those, and if they do, it's a waste of cash!)

In short, it needs some serious work, not as much as Chaotic World would take to make, but it might now due to how bad it's gotten. (Seriously, I mean, I'd love to get a Horse Boost early on for many characters [some MS, mana regen, little armor] but I can't buy it. Yet, we sell Claws of Lightning, which are useless compared to the Firey Claws, which are the SAME price, and are more damage! What's the point in THAT? Oh, but wait, you can't level anyway since there's no exp gain, and a half-hidden thing in Quests about Houses, and you can't find the Houses, and when you do, you can't afford them, because you bought Firey Claws to kill the trolls, which give no exp, to loop this.)

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

valkierDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 11:27:11 PM | Message # 25
Webmaster
As someone so lovingly pointed out, then help new players. As for it being harsh, I wholeheartedly disagree. Ok, so you had a run of bad luck. I was playing a game the other day. Started new. and managed to get to lvl 20 in about 15 minutes. Just because some people get teh short end of the stick, doesn't mean that the game is unfair to new people.

Also, as much as I like a good discussion, I will give ONE warning to not only stay on topic, but if I see a single post flaming another persons idea or opinion, then I WILL close this thread.

DraculaDate: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 1:47:35 AM | Message # 26
Stage 2
I was playing a game the other day. Started new. and managed to get to lvl 20 in about 15 minutes.

I understand your argument, but it's not what I'm getting at.
(I'm assuming this was not your first time playing, thus you already knew what you were doing and how to level quickly/what to do to that end.)
I'm not talking about the game being biased against old players who are making new characters. I'm talking about completely new people - first-timers to CoT who have never made a character before (and have probably never even seen the map before). If you or I were to make a new character, it would be relatively simple because we already know what to do and where to go to get off to a running start. It's not harsh because we know what we're doing. Now imagine a first-timer playing.

....And I'd even written an awesome commentary, too, but the message text was too long for me to post it up. I suppose I can upload it to mediafire, for anyone who's curious/wants a laugh:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x8eh84po1gavie6

Yours truly,
Count Vlad Tepes Dracula III
(But you can just call me Drac.)

n00bz4rusDate: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 3:18:31 AM | Message # 27
Stage 2
valk, you just dont seem to get the idea do you? what we are talking about is a totally new player.. not about player that have experience like you.. why dont you try imagining just for 5 seconds that you are in their shoes.. what would you think about this whole map? as you said, just because you can get to lvl 20 in 15 minutes doesnt mean the new players can.

if you feel that im flaming you then feel free to permaban me..im sick of this already..

I'm just your normal weirdo next door.

"There are times when not giving are better than giving"
-???

GaurdiosDate: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 8:58:49 AM | Message # 28
Stage 1
Woulden't it just be simple for now to make a text pop up right after video ended saying, saying for new people to the map to type -help for quick explenation of the map.

Then when they type -help a message pop up that give short explenation on what to do next for them to get more xp, like buy a house, and to buy nation if they want to farm more quickly and gain income for buying items and tomes etc.

And give short explenation on where to start farming, like trolls, spider etc.

And write about despawning, that new people should move away from creeps spawn so it wont dissapear. Just to give them a head start?

Think this would be the easiest for now with a quick fix, instead of reworking whole map with gods, the items in town etc etc... That will take quite some time and can maybe be later fixed if needed.

razvan1988Date: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 12:26:52 PM | Message # 29
Stage 1
or all the new people can visit this forum and here they will find all those important informations about the game...it's that so hard???If they have a tiny interes about the game they will visit the forum...i think this is the best solution for all complains smile sorry for my bad english biggrin

valkierDate: Saturday, 2010-10-23, 12:33:50 PM | Message # 30
Webmaster
A. I agree with Razvan, thank you for stating that.
B. Technically, I would call myself new. This was my first time playing CoT in about 2 months, which means I missed a lot of the map updates. My hero got wiped so I had to start that over, which meant getting used to it again.
C. We were all new once and had to find these things out. It's part of playing a game for the first time. Finding the little ins and outs of it and seeing how it works. Even then no one fully understands it all, not even Dark, hence why I offered him to make this website over a year ago, hence why we have a community of collective minds to help find things and share them with others Hence why the website is on the loading screen, in the opening credits, in the f9 tab, and even named on one of the NPC's in town.

Forum » Plain's of Medea : Fires of Chaos » Feedback and Error Reports » Goddess of "Love"-Weather of Hate-Despawn (Goddess of Making You Mad-Weather of Evil-No More Creeps)
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024