• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » Rpg Idea
Rpg Idea
darkchaosDate: Monday, 2012-12-03, 2:04:25 PM | Message # 1
Mapmaker
Group: Lead Designer
Random Idea
So I had an idea for a rpg. I was just lying on my bed yesterday and thinking and I think of this. Im not goint to make this, it was just an interesting idea that I thought of. This was made with the sc2’s editor in mind, and could be done in sc2, but most of the sc2 custom maps suck and don’t give a wc3 rpg feel that its supposed to give.

So, my idea was basically a rpg with 100 levels. Each level is a different map, with different environments/enemies. Basically this rpg will take a long ass time to beat, and is not your typical rpg. There is a warper in town that teleports you to any level 1-100. But, you cant just go to any level at the beginning – lets start from the beginning. The map has just been released, and is available on sc2 servers. Players start to paly it from the beginning.
The first thing that you notice at the top right is that there is a global leaderboard – yes, a global leaderboard. I saw this in a sc2 game where the map editor made a global leaderboard over all games and showed who had the most points, so I think it is possible. Anyway, this global leaderboard shows a couple of things – level reached, strongest player, and player with the most player kills. Now, lets go through each one.

Basically, the players begin the map at level 1. Since this map is designed to be played for a long time, there is really an absurd number of levels and the gameplay will perhaps take several months. Now, each level is basically an area… there is a town(on some levels), areas and monsters. However to unlock the next level you will have to find the dungeon and find the raid boss. Destroying this raid boss allows you to go to the next level, and unlocks the next level from the teleporter in town. The raid bosses take around a full house (think it is 16 players in sc2) to beat. Destroying this raid boss allows you to go to the next level. This increases the global leaderboard to level + 1. Now all players in any game can go to the next level.

darkchaosDate: Monday, 2012-12-03, 2:04:30 PM | Message # 2
Mapmaker
Monsters can drop rare and very rare loot, so yeah. Typical. The raid boss drops items that are rolled for, etc.

Anyway, the strongest player is basically the strongest player in the game – he is the player who has the most levels. Only one person can be the strongest, and with it he gets to duel-wield and special skills that increase his attack power and attack rate by a lot, however decreasing his defense. This will make the strongest person simply the strongest. However, if someone goes above his level he loses the ability and skills and goes back to being a regular player.

Now, this is the trademark of this game. In this game, if you die once, then you die permanently. You get kicked out of the game and the information has been saved in your banks. Banks are basically files that sc2 can write to your local hardrive to store information. If you try to join again, you are kicked immmeditly saying you are dead. Now, you may think that the player can just remove his bank from his hardrive, but its more complicated. His death is not only saved into his bank, but also into every bank of every player in his game. When these players join another game, all the info on dead players will be spread to all the players in their game. This is exponential, and before long all the players playing the game have information about his death. There is no way to overcome this, except with making a different account. So its like hardcore Diablo.

Of course, before long banks will have a lot of information so there will be a loading time for the game to start.

This sets some cool side-effects. How much do you want to level on creeps in your level before you are ready to face the raid boss? Are you ready for the possibility that you may really die? Do you have people to depend on? Are you ready to perhaps lose a month of work, and when do you think you are ready?

Now there is another important side effect. The game allows player killing – so you can kill others players. However the enemy killed doesn’t respawn, hes dead for good. So basically you end up killing the other player. Towns are safe spots, and while you can attack other players, you wont deal any damage in town. Killing another player gives you a red name, making other players wary that you killed a player. Attacking, but not killing another player makes your name be yellow. These fade with time, but if another player kills you when you are red his name does not become red. Killing another player allows you to take all his loot.

The third global information displayed was the player with the most player kills. He will be named something like the ‘demon lord’ and he will also get additional skills, stats etc. However, you will have a large bounty on your head and any player that kills you gets a large reward. So basically you are stronger than a lot of other people. But everyone goes after you. You will have to possibly hide in another level.

Another interesting concept is that in the higher levels, you will find items that allow you to disguise. For example, say you are level 904. You can use this item, and become level 10. You will be exactly identical to a level 10 player, stats, hit points, even xp. If you get the xp needed for a 10->11 level, you will level up. However this xp also goes into your real xp pool, so say u have 9mil xp, and get 1 xp, you now have actually 9mil and 1 xp but you only need 4 more xp for a level. However, if your hp is reduced to 0, then your true nature is given out and you become level 904 again. This allows multiple interesting things – is the player you are working with really level 10? Maybe hes a high leveled character ready to crush any pkers that come along. Or perhaps hes the demon lord in disguise? Even if you use a disguise, your red name will not disappear, so think of some good explanation.

Just some thinks I thought of. I made this in Microsoft word and it is around ~1100 words.

GhostWolf223Date: Monday, 2012-12-03, 2:05:18 PM | Message # 3
Stage 9
Group: Users
make or gtfo

Rest in Peace...Josey The DoG Wales...
http://www.youtube.com/user/hero12345333
Visit my youtube channel :)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/GhostWolf223

darkchaosDate: Monday, 2012-12-03, 2:06:02 PM | Message # 4
Mapmaker
Also, because of the levels being so big, perhaps there are multiple maps. The map basicalyl loads your character in your bank to a new level. For example, there will be maps for level 0-10,10-20, etc. However you cant play those maps if the global level reached is not high enough.

Also, because the disguise is gained at higher levels no one will know about it in the start of the game. Only later players will find it out and lower player wont know about it.

Also, in later levels there will be an item that allows ressurection of someone who has died within 30 seconds, but it is a rare drop froma boss that spawns.

Perhaps night can make all the monsters turn into nightmare form. They become over 20x stronger, will you venture outside and risk to gain massive xp, or stay in your home?

Who knows what awaits you at the 100th level? and what you get for clearing it o.o

EDIT: edited posts into one

Sandman366Date: Monday, 2012-12-03, 10:58:58 PM | Message # 5
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
I read some of it and didn't like the concepts I saw. Permanent hardcore? That's just stupid. There would be so many pissed people. Die and completely restart is one thing but, never able to play again? Eww!

Anyway, fairly sure it's more work than you're going to do.

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

darkchaosDate: Monday, 2012-12-03, 11:04:28 PM | Message # 6
Mapmaker
Was just an interesting idea.

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2012-12-04, 2:02:01 PM | Message # 7
Stage 9
whats with you and night time making everything super hard lol
and after actually reading it i would play it o-o
thought with the hardcore just have it perm delete the character instead of banning the account from the game
or if you just wanted to piss people off with it keep level delete all items and give -5000xlevel in exp lol

darkchaosDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-04, 6:43:10 PM | Message # 8
Mapmaker
hmm.... ill just delete the char then. have to start from lvl 1 again

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2012-12-04, 8:08:51 PM | Message # 9
Stage 9
yes biggrin i like the idea then

Sandman366Date: Tuesday, 2012-12-04, 10:31:22 PM | Message # 10
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
But then you can just restore the character.

DC, what's with you and pointlessly difficult games? And so high risk?

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

darkchaosDate: Saturday, 2012-12-08, 12:01:05 PM | Message # 11
Mapmaker
True, you can just restore the character. I cant think of a solution to that. So im going to keep the idea that you have one chance to play the game. If you die, its game over.

The game will be ultra-hardcore. I might make a sc2 map with just a marine and if that marine dies your banned from the game concept sometime in the next year.

GhostWolf223Date: Saturday, 2012-12-08, 3:49:06 PM | Message # 12
Stage 9
bleh perm ban would only get like 5 plays lol
all the new players who don't know what to do will die first game >.<
AND EVERYONE WILL BE NEW D:<

darkchaosDate: Saturday, 2012-12-08, 4:08:57 PM | Message # 13
Mapmaker
how about you start off the first 5 levels in a safe area where you can revive... but then you die after you leave that area :).

and it warns you in red text when you leave that area.

Also, i found out that the global leaderboard is made by my own method that i jsut thought of. lol, i thought of the onyl method.

It would a semi-global leaerboard i guess, still cool though

I wonder if you could save so much information though in a bank

GhostWolf223Date: Saturday, 2012-12-08, 6:53:08 PM | Message # 14
Stage 9
bleh perm ban still seems too harsh even for me

darkchaosDate: Sunday, 2012-12-09, 4:25:17 PM | Message # 15
Mapmaker
Well, over time you would have like no one playing... i would like for you to be back at level 1 but i dont kow if its possible to prevent people from restoring.. hmm

Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » Rpg Idea
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024