Wednesday, 2024-05-01, 9:51:36 AM

Main
Registration
Login
Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » I'm trying to mapmake =D (But i really need help =\)
I'm trying to mapmake =D
abeticdiDate: Saturday, 2011-10-08, 5:34:05 AM | Message # 1
Stage 1
Group: Users
So i've found fun little tutorials for most everything except how to make stats based abilities and i want to know how to do that cuz I think that its really cool =O. Anyone can help me or you can all just ignore this ^_^. I'll just go back to googling statbased abilities in warcraft mapeditor =\

Soon - Sometime within the next 5 years, although it may be longer.

AlexengDate: Saturday, 2011-10-08, 5:54:43 AM | Message # 2
Stage 4
The easy way: Make AoE abilities do like 0.01 damage, then have an On Damaged trigger to check if it does exactly that amount. On target spells, set damage to 0 and use On Start Effect to deal the damage to the target. This way is highly inconvenient though, and spells can get mixed up with normal attacks since we can't check attack-type if the target got high enought armor.

The hard way: Use a damage system. There should be a few on hive if you search around.

Brony Forever.
Favorite characters: Chrysalis, Twilight, Luna, Discord, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Trixie.
Favorite pairings: TwiLuna, CelestiCord, Twixie, AppleDash, TwiDash, Flutterdash.

abeticdiDate: Saturday, 2011-10-08, 6:28:24 AM | Message # 3
Stage 1
Why does mapmaking have to be so hard looking D= but i finally found something ^_^. Thank you for your help.

Mystic_ProphetDate: Wednesday, 2011-10-12, 4:55:06 PM | Message # 4
Stage 4
Heh. I tend to use the easy way. So long as you make magic deal 100% to all armor types it works flawlessly.

set up a time to meet me and I can hand you over my test map, with stat based abils for all the normal wc3 heroes.

Sandman366Date: Thursday, 2011-10-13, 7:39:37 AM | Message # 5
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (Mystic_Prophet)
So long as you make magic deal 100% to all armor types it works flawlessly.

Unless you've got TONS of abilities, and you want reduction.....

Then it fails epicly :P

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

Mystic_ProphetDate: Monday, 2011-10-17, 8:01:24 PM | Message # 6
Stage 4
Heh. Magic reduction involves spells not doing 100%. I all ready mentioned that set back. you could program the damage reduction into the trigger itself by detecting if the damaged unit has the item, but that would be a bit of a headache.

Message edited by Mystic_Prophet - Monday, 2011-10-17, 8:02:29 PM

Sandman366Date: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 5:02:07 PM | Message # 7
Stage 9
Armor reduction type, Skill reduction, Item reduction....then we get into Banish....
I'd say for most maps plain old fashion "all a spell does is causes a trigger to fire off". Isn't there some way to have a spell just fire off a trigger which loads stats of caster (to calculate damage) and the target (to deal the damage)?

Malevolent criminal I,

Mystic_ProphetDate: Wednesday, 2011-10-19, 4:15:16 PM | Message # 8
Stage 4
Of course there is. The problem is in the complexity triggering chain spells and cone spells and such. Much easier for me to just use damage detection, knowing that I won't be using any items or abilities that reduce magic damage in my map.

I've seen plenty of people design spells from the ground up with code, and have the actual abilities simply act as the trigger button. If you have the skill for that, It's a much more efficient way of doing things. I can trigger single target spells and circular AOE spells fine, but triggering stuff like immolation, chain lightning, and breath of fire are a bit beyond me.

EDIT: beginning to think the thread starter isn't even looking at this anymore.

Message edited by Mystic_Prophet - Wednesday, 2011-10-19, 4:20:10 PM

Sandman366Date: Thursday, 2011-10-20, 1:39:28 PM | Message # 9
Stage 9
He's probably not, but I'm getting info's on mapmakin' from you. For instance, that it is possible to have a skill that merely fires off a trigger. I thought it could, but didn't know. I'm utter CRAP at mapmaking :P
But, just because I don't know how to do it, doesn't mean I can't know it's possible.

Malevolent criminal I,

abeticdiDate: Thursday, 2011-10-20, 9:13:03 PM | Message # 10
Stage 1
Well... Since i decided stat based abilities were to difficult for a noob like me i moved on to something different. I am going to make a series of like five maps for the diablo 2 series because it deserves it. So far i have .01% done =3

darkchaosDate: Thursday, 2011-10-20, 10:36:12 PM | Message # 11
Mapmaker
Group: Lead Designer
stat based abils are very easy. just make an event a unit starts the effect of an ability..
ability is spell..

cause triggering unit to deal statx% magic damage to target of spell cat

your done

it only works for instant spells though.

abeticdiDate: Thursday, 2011-10-20, 10:49:32 PM | Message # 12
Stage 1
Too late i'm already like 7 hours into the d2 maps so i'm not changing to anything with stat based abilities now happy
But thanks for the help everyone
And sandstorm do have fun getting learned in the ways of the mapmaking

darkchaosDate: Thursday, 2011-10-20, 11:29:28 PM | Message # 13
Mapmaker
Group: Lead Designer
7 hours isnt that big. you can still do it :3

AlexengDate: Friday, 2011-10-21, 6:44:48 AM | Message # 14
Stage 4
7 hours is nothing if you are going to make a map for all of the five acts. tongue Granted, alot can be ported to the other maps, but there's a shitload to be done while creating maps based on other games.

Brony Forever.
Favorite characters: Chrysalis, Twilight, Luna, Discord, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Trixie.
Favorite pairings: TwiLuna, CelestiCord, Twixie, AppleDash, TwiDash, Flutterdash.

Mystic_ProphetDate: Friday, 2011-10-21, 12:11:22 PM | Message # 15
Stage 4
Well to give you more info Sandman. You simply use a trigger to detect when a unit uses an ability, but have the ability do nothing (or just graphics). Then you can fire off whatever other triggers you like.

Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » I'm trying to mapmake =D (But i really need help =\)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024