Wednesday, 2024-05-01, 12:26:43 PM

Main
Registration
Login
Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » I'm trying to mapmake =D (But i really need help =\)
I'm trying to mapmake =D
Sandman366Date: Friday, 2011-10-21, 9:46:47 PM | Message # 16
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (abeticdi)
sandstorm

I think you mean Sandman......lol. Unless I take you by storm >:D Thanks though, though I don't it'll be any time soon that I really get into it.

Quote (Mystic_Prophet)
You simply use a trigger to detect when a unit uses an ability, but have the ability do nothing (or just graphics).

I think I'd probably do more like what DC said if I ever got around to learning it lol
Quote (darkchaos)
just make an event a unit starts the effect of an ability.,

So you can't have it so the spell's effect is the trigger, and has a cast time too? Basically "Spell has X cast time. Damage: 0 (or more if wanted). Effects: (fire off trigger), (slow down by this much because this happens to be a frosty spell)" or something?

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

Mystic_ProphetDate: Saturday, 2011-10-22, 1:00:01 PM | Message # 17
Stage 4
Group: Users
Heh. That is what DC said.

To do what you're asking you MIGHT be able to get away with it by using a spell with a cast time and then trigger on starts the effect. Which basically has the same result. An ability cannot directly fire off a trigger, but you don't need it to. You can use triggers to do that.

Message edited by Mystic_Prophet - Saturday, 2011-10-22, 1:00:44 PM

Sandman366Date: Saturday, 2011-10-22, 4:41:07 PM | Message # 18
Stage 9
Quote (Mystic_Prophet)
To do what you're asking you MIGHT be able to get away with it by using a spell with a cast time and then trigger on starts the effect. Which basically has the same result.

But then you have the problem of cancelling before cast time is over and effect hits anyway....

Malevolent criminal I,

AlexengDate: Saturday, 2011-10-22, 6:00:46 PM | Message # 19
Stage 4
That only happens if you use Casts Spell, since it triggers the same moment you issue the order. Spell effect is when the spell itself starts, and the order is finished, or under-way for channeling spells.

Brony Forever.
Favorite characters: Chrysalis, Twilight, Luna, Discord, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Trixie.
Favorite pairings: TwiLuna, CelestiCord, Twixie, AppleDash, TwiDash, Flutterdash.

Mystic_ProphetDate: Sunday, 2011-10-23, 3:01:17 AM | Message # 20
Stage 4
^ what he said ^

There's like 4 or 5 different ways to trigger something off an ability. The only that's usually exploitable is "starts casting" or "starts channeling" as opposed to "starts effect." The later ensures the ability has actually hit. And if you're using channeling, you can use finishes channeling as an alternative.

Message edited by Mystic_Prophet - Sunday, 2011-10-23, 3:02:29 AM

Sandman366Date: Sunday, 2011-10-23, 2:42:21 PM | Message # 21
Stage 9
So it is possible to have cast time and not just start casting then cancel a million times for lots of damage. I figured it had to be possible, otherwise DC's sig would be a little different.

Speaking of DC's sig, he should add "Can the SC2 editor- (Twice.)" or something like that....because SC2 mapping has one main limit: when SC2 crashes. Unless, of course, that's what you wanted....then it STILL has no limit.

Malevolent criminal I,

Mystic_ProphetDate: Sunday, 2011-10-23, 5:20:20 PM | Message # 22
Stage 4
There is a scripting limit in place on both SC2 and WC3. That's still not a limitation on what they can do though. Only on the amount of stuff you can compile into one map. And of course, lag is always an issue.

AlexengDate: Sunday, 2011-10-23, 6:22:49 PM | Message # 23
Stage 4
There is nothing such as a limit on how much you can have in your map, a 100mb one would compile just as fine as a 50kb one, though the time taken would be sick. Optimizers create limits since they (usually) use a 1-character shortening of locals and a 2-character shortening of globals, like triggers. This creates a limit of 3224 globals (62*52, can't start with a digit).

Brony Forever.
Favorite characters: Chrysalis, Twilight, Luna, Discord, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Trixie.
Favorite pairings: TwiLuna, CelestiCord, Twixie, AppleDash, TwiDash, Flutterdash.

Message edited by Alexeng - Sunday, 2011-10-23, 6:23:00 PM

Mystic_ProphetDate: Monday, 2011-10-24, 12:45:18 PM | Message # 24
Stage 4
Yeah, usually load times and lag determine the limits of a map. It does seem that SC2 has a limit though. The creator of Mafia was pushing to have it raised.

I have had times when messing around with the wc3 editor when I was unable to place any more doodads or units though. Don't remember how far back in time that was.

Sandman366Date: Monday, 2011-10-24, 1:40:43 PM | Message # 25
Stage 9
So basically, unless it's your intention, your main limitations are crashing SC2/the comp being played on, freezing SC2/the comp it's being played on, and scripting a simulator of an entire planet (eg: Earth) into the game.

I just had a REALLY cool thought: make a model....WHILE playing the map....AS PART OF THE MAP. Basically a "Model Making Map"...lol.

Malevolent criminal I,

Mystic_ProphetDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-25, 9:42:08 AM | Message # 26
Stage 4
Hmm... The only way I can see that as feasible is creating models for each point of attachment, (legs, chest, head, etc) and then mix and matching. Typically models have to be imported into the game, but I'd love to see someone prove me wrong.

Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » I'm trying to mapmake =D (But i really need help =\)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Tag Board
Copyright MyCorp © 2024