Curse of Time 2, Plains of Medea, Fires of Chaos Welcome Guest | RSS  
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » Novel Analysis
Novel Analysis
CutenessDate: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 3:10:45 PM | Message # 1
Stage 4
Group: Users
Ok, need to do a Novel Analysis paper for Sociology this semester. Was looking for some book ideas.

Anyone who's seen/read City of Ember, I'm looking for a novel of a similar scenario, the whole city sectioned off separate from the world thing. I would do City of Ember, but it apparently seems to be a children's book aimed at grades 4-6 (who knew? D:) so I was gonna try and get a book more towards college level. Though Adolescence novels could work too :).

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has some suggestions along the lines similar to City of Ember.

And don't say Stephen King's "The Stand" 'cuz I am totally not gonna read something that long...I'd prefer around 500 pages or less, give or take

Oh, The Village is another example....was their a book for that movie? Anyways, something similar to City of Ember or The Village, like that scenario.

I'm not obsessed with Cute things......I just like them better then everything else <3

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 3:44:23 PM | Message # 2
Stage 9
hmm city sectioned off from the world....

i could give a couple movies?
would that work :P

or mabey a place that has people that cant go outside? (sorta like a detention camp?) would that work?

Rest in Peace...Josey The DoG Wales...
http://www.youtube.com/user/hero12345333
Visit my youtube channel :)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/GhostWolf223

Sandman366Date: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 4:02:45 PM | Message # 3
Stage 9
Group: Moderator
Quote (GhostWolf223)
hmm city sectioned off from the world....

My first thought was Inception....

...but I doubt I'd be much help Cuteness

Malevolent criminal I,
when the vision paints my mind.
Cross the invisible line...
...and you'll be paid in kind.

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 4:30:03 PM | Message # 4
Stage 9
i was thinking prison/detention camps/racism and such =/

CutenessDate: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 7:01:57 PM | Message # 5
Stage 4
Ghost: The thing about a Novel Analysis paper, is you need a 'Novel', not a movie biggrin City of Ember and The Village are both movies. Well, City of Ember is a book too, but its like around children reading lvl, which is probably why Bill Murray got a role in it as the main bad guy. Since the movie was geared for young to adolescent audience.

I'm mainly looking for a book focused on a Subculture. So books for like prison/detention camps/racism aren't really my thing. I want to want to read the book, if that makes sense. biggrin

If you haven't seen City of Embers or The Village, here's the trailer summary:

City of Ember: When mankind is about to come to an end, a group of scientists decide to create and populate a city deep underground. The city of Ember is to last for 200 years after which its inhabitants are to retrieve from a strong box instructions to return to the surface. Over time however, the message is lost and life in Ember is rapidly deteriorating. Their power supply is failing and food is being rationed. It's left to two young adults to unearth the secret of Ember and to lead the way out.

It was taught in Ember that their was no need to try and leave the city, everything outside the city, above ground, was a black, barren wasteland. (think similar to Fallout) Their police force was meant to keep people in.

The Village - In a quiet, isolated village in olde Pennsylvania, there lies a pact between the people of the village and the creatures who reside in the surrounding woods: the townspeople do not enter the woods, and the creatures do not enter the village. The pact stays true for many years, but when Lucius Hunt seeks medical supplies from the towns beyond the wood, the pact is challenged. Animal carcasses, devoid of fur, begin to appear around the village, causing the council of elders to fear for the safety of the village, the pact, and so much more.

Used their 'pact' with the creatures to scare people into not leaving. Making people believe leaving would not only kill them, but will have effects on those left behind, as they might be killed by the creatures as well.

In both scenarios, their is an isolated population, aka, a subculture. I'm looking for a book like that, hoping I can find a decent one at college/young adult level.

I'm not obsessed with Cute things......I just like them better then everything else <3

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 7:14:55 PM | Message # 6
Stage 9
ive read a couple books similar to The Village

just cant remember the names and i dont think they were novels (about -350 pages =/)

other then real life examples of (drama) type novels with solitude in a culture you wont find much :P

they would all be fantasy...
are you allowed to use fantasy novels?

CutenessDate: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 7:23:14 PM | Message # 7
Stage 4
Yes. smile According to my sociology teacher "Your elves and vampires and what not will all have a social culture and norms, because they were written by a person living in a culture"

Message edited by Cuteness - Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 7:23:42 PM

GhostWolf223Date: Tuesday, 2011-08-23, 8:28:33 PM | Message # 8
Stage 9
ohh that makes it easier lol

but i dont read fantasy :P

im so sorry master :*(( i could not help =/ (cuts wrist)

ill do better next time i swear D:

Sandman366Date: Wednesday, 2011-08-24, 2:49:30 PM | Message # 9
Stage 9
Must the whole book be about a place you can't leave?

If not, LotR could work (it's a bit long but I know someone who was in high school and read the whole thing). Just talk about the cities :P (Technically all of them could work, but mostly stuff like Rivendell and what not)

Malevolent criminal I,

CutenessDate: Wednesday, 2011-08-24, 7:12:15 PM | Message # 10
Stage 4
lol, no, it doesn't all have to be about the cities, none of it does, but I think you missed the point. I wanted to do a Novel analysis on a book about an isolated subculture.

So examples: Fallout 3 - Vault 101. If you know the storyline/intro of Fallout 3, you know it was forbidden to leave the vault. That entire Vault, in itself, is a subculture. They have their own rules, laws, etc, that establish a set of norms and ideas. Violating these rules, like trying to leave the vault for example, is like committing a crime, and in vault 101's case, doing so is death.

City of Ember - another subculture. The city is underground. It is taught that outside the city is nothing but darkness, nothing lives, nothing but death. To leave the city is death. The city is life, their is no reason to leave the city, you have everything you need. New children, when they come of age, are given a job. They do that job for the rest of their lives. They live and breath that job, and work as a member of the society. Breaking their laws/rules/norms is forbidden. But theirs no need to break the laws, because your all 'safe' within the city. Of course, they weren't safe, but they were taught that. Going against that was not allowed.

The Village - Similar scenarios as the other two. Their is no need to look beyond the woods surrounding the village. They have a pact with the 'creatures'. They don't go into the Forrest, and the creatures wont come into the village. If anyone went into the Forrest, their was retaliation from the creatures. Animals killed, pigs blood smeared on doors, etc, etc. staying in the village meant safety and life. Leaving meant death, not only for you, but for those you leave behind.

Those are the kinds of subculture that I want to do my report about. Vault 101 is not a book, its a place in fallout, the game, so I can't do that. The Village is a movie, not a book. City of Ember is a movie/book geared towards grades 4-6, again, don't want to do that.

I'm looking for a book about an isolated group of people, a village/town/city, where not only is it encouraged to stay in the city and not question the society, but that leaving is forbidden and holds severe consequences such as death.

Edit: Also, the LotR novels aren't long, just fyi biggrin they're only 450-500 pages or so for each section, it being a trilogy. I've reap almost all of David Eddings and Terry Brook's books, each book numbering 400-500 pages, and theirs well over 2 dozen just between those two authors alone. I just don't wanna read a 700+ page book or something, especially if its not something I can get into.

Message edited by Cuteness - Wednesday, 2011-08-24, 7:14:37 PM

Sandman366Date: Thursday, 2011-08-25, 1:24:14 PM | Message # 11
Stage 9
Brave New World. That is a strange society...and quite depressing towards the end.

Malevolent criminal I,

CutenessDate: Thursday, 2011-08-25, 7:49:49 PM | Message # 12
Stage 4
Book chosen.

The Giver - Louis Lowry

Suggested in an identical thread on the Clan CM forums. Approved by my Soci teacher. The thread can be left open to give any other suggestions, or closed, since I found what I wanted.

GhostWolf223Date: Thursday, 2011-08-25, 8:40:03 PM | Message # 13
Stage 9
stupid clan Cm fourms
>.>

allways tryin to one-up us >:(

Forum » Off Topic » Off-topic » Novel Analysis
  • Page 1 of 1